Skip to the content

Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards

image of light bulb relating to minimum energy efficiency standards

An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) assesses a property’s energy efficiency and provides a grade from A (most efficient) to G (the least efficient). After being issued, these certificates are valid for ten years. 

Since 2018, to be let, properties are legally required an EPC rating of at least E. However, from 2025, properties require a minimum EPC rating of C. haart have some advice for landlords on meeting these minimum energy efficiency standards. 

What’s my current Energy Performance Rating?

Before starting to improve, you need to know what how your buy to let property is performing. Find out your current score with the government-approved tool here.

If your certificate is expired, book an energy assessment as soon as possible.

What do the changes to EPC C targets mean?

In effort to reduce carbon emissions for buildings and improve energy efficiency for homes, all buy to let properties may be required to reach a minimum energy efficiency standard with an EPC rating of C by as early as 2025. 

Under these guidelines, all new tenancies starting from December 2025 and existing tenancies by December 2028, would need to be in a property with a minimum rating of C. 

How can I improve the energy efficiency rating of my home? 

Starting improvements sooner rather than later is better, as your property may require construction work to meet minimum energy efficiency standards. Below are some examples 

  • Swapping to low-energy LED lightbublbs 
  • Make sure pipes are insulated 
  • Installing a condenser boiler 
  • Sealing gaps in loft hatches, doors and pipes 
  • Adding draught excluders

Exemptions for Landlords

If the cost of raising the Energy Performance rating of a property exceeds £3,500 plus Vat, it is placed on the exemption register for five years.

According to properties are also exempt from needing an EPC if owners can prove they fall into one of the following categories:

  • A temporary building being used for 2 years or less
  • Used as a place of worship or for other religious activities
  • An industrial site, workshop or non-residential agricultural building that doesn’t use much energy
  • A detached building with a total floor space under 50 square meters
  • Due to be demolished by the seller or landlord and they have all the relevant planning and conservation consents

Advice for Landlords from haart

Whatever the efficiency status and rating of your let property, haart can help. We work with energy efficiency practitioners across the UK who can assess your property and make recommendations for how you can improve its energy efficiency.