It may sound like a cliché but first impressions really do count. Presenting your property well will be vital in achieving a successful sale and getting the best possible price for your home. Here are some of the areas to consider:
- The front of the property is the first thing people will look at, especially if you are going to have a ‘For Sale’ board outside. Therefore make sure it is neat, tidy and well kept. Keep the grass cut, clean the driveway – all the little things that make a big difference.
- Are there any areas (inside or out) that could do with a fresh coat of paint? It really can make all the difference in presenting your property as fresh and well kept. Where possible, select a neutral colour to appeal to as many people as possible.
- Make sure the inside of the property is clean and tidy. Tidy up any cluttered areas to make the property as spacious as possible and ensure the property is well lit so it looks bright and homely.
- If possible, give your carpets and upholstery a professional clean.
- Throw open the windows to give the rooms a chance to be well aired.
- Complete any maintenance jobs such as replacing light bulbs and fixing doors or finish any DIY projects you had started.
- Make sure your garden is tidy, weeded and grass cut. Gardens are very important in selling your property.
When you are ready to put your house on the market, make sure you have plenty of notice of when the photographer is coming so you can ensure the pictures that are taken present your property in the best possible light. The photos will be extremely important in generating interest of your property.
The marketing of your property
It is important that whichever estate agent you choose, you get maximum exposure of your property to generate as much interest as possible. The marketing of your property needs to include:
- Good quality, full colour property details which include a floorplan of the property and the Energy Performance Certificate.
- Listing on the estate agent’s website - these listings should include a detailed write up of your property, the rooms the property features with the room dimensions, quality images, location map and streetview of the area around your property.
- Listing on major portals such as Rightmove and OnTheMarket.com – again you need the detailed write up of the property particulars and a good range of good quality images of your property.
- Coverage in local newspapers and magazines.
- Email and SMS property alerts to potential buyers who are interested in a property like yours in the area.
- Professional signboards to promote your property at all times, should you agree to have one displayed outside your property.
haart have a variety of ways to market your property including our confidential service (haart Discreet) and our Prime Mover package. Just contact your local branch for help and advice from the property experts in your local area.
Are you ready for viewings of your property? Click through to our Property Viewing guide for some tips to assist you.