Choosing a solicitor can be really important in the successful sale of your property. You need a solicitor who has experience in property conveyancing as well as a solid understanding of the property marketing in your area. A solicitor will be needed to transfer the legal ownership of your property to the buyer.
The solicitor will usually be responsible for the following:
- Drawing up and reviewing the contracts
- Conducting the local searches
- Corresponding with the Land Registry
- Managing payments, including stamp duty charges
- Managing the collection and transfer of funds
- Providing you with legal advice as and when you need it.
Most estate agents will have solicitors they can recommend to you, however, here is a quick guide to what to look for when choosing a solicitor:
- Knowledge – experience of conveyancing and local knowledge.
- Price – it is not always the best idea to select the cheapest – you need to ensure the quality of their work meets your standards. Different solicitors will charge in different ways so it is important that they provide you with all the costs to ensure that you are aware of which each will be charging in total.
- Positive reviews – what better way to ensure the solicitor provides a good service than to listen to recommendations from friends, family, testimonials or review sites?
- High quality service – solicitors are likely to be busy but you need to make sure they are going to provide you with a high quality service, taking the time to ensure you have understood all the details of the sale of your property.
- Easy to contact – not being able to get in touch with your solicitor will be extremely frustrating. Therefore it is important to ensure there is at least a contact number and email address for you to be able to get in contact with your solicitor regularly. Opening hours will also be important to review so that you stand a better chance of getting in contact with your chosen solicitor when you need to.
As a minimum, it is useful to obtain at least three quotations and research each of these firms or individuals as that you can make the right choice for you.
Take a look at our guide to making your property sell itself!