Whilst we all get caught up in the buzz of buying a new home, it can be easy to forget about taking extra measures to protect what’s inside. To recognise National Home Security Day on May 30th, here are some quick precautions that you can make to ensure that your family and your things are as secure as possible within and around your home.
- Change your locks when you move in – you can’t be sure who may have keys to your property.
- Ensure all windows and doors are locked before you leave your home and when going to bed.
- Keep all valuables and expensive items away from ground floor windows, such as mobile phones and laptops. If you’re installing a new TV, try and position it so it’s hard to see through a window.
- Install a visible burglar alarm to help deter burglars.
- Garden tools can be used for break-ins. If you have a garden, ensure all tools are locked securely inside your home or in a shed.
- When leaving your home for an extended period of time, such as a holiday, ask a trusted neighbour to keep an eye on your home.
Got any other suggestions that aren't included here? Tweet us them @haart_uk!